Dining out... Be social...
While on Seattle Sutton’s Healthy Eating, dining out can still be a delicious part of your healthy lifestyle, that is if you know what to look for! There are healthy options, or can be made healthy with a few requests.
• Avoid skipping meals – this can lead to overeating.
• Many restaurant menus are available on-line, review what is available and decide your menu selection at home.
• Drinking water before/after meals. We can confuse dehydration as hunger.
• Eat slowly. Enjoy your meal and focus your energy on your company.
• Restaurant portions often serve 2-4 times more food than what we actually need. Don’t be compelled to eat everything. Or share items with the table.
• Once you begin to feel full, ask the waiter remove your plate.
• Don’t be afraid to ask how foods are prepared, or to request they are cooked differently. They are there to serve you!
• Appetizers: Salad with lemon or vinaigrette dressing on the side, broth based soups, shrimp cocktail, raw tuna, or other lean proteins.
• Entrées: Poultry or seafood are lean choices. Grilled, broiled, baked, steamed, or poached, typically means extra fat was not added. Steamed vegetables or a baked potato with low fat sour cream. Other high calorie side dishes can often be substituted for more steamed vegetables.
• Desserts: Fresh fruit, sorbet, fruit whips or Italian ice. Often times restaurants can serve fresh fruit, even if it’s not on the menu.
• Drinks: Sparkling mineral water with a twist, unsweetened tea. One serving of wine, beer or liquor, if desired.